Friday, December 29, 2006

No Free Drink Fiasco (I'm Irish)

I'm told that UBC aren't providing any free booze tonight or any night - people were pretty annoyed when they arrived to the opening night "Cocktail Party" last night, to find that there were no free drinks, and strangely, very little in the way of cocktails. The drink was pretty overpriced at $4.25 for a Coke, and I'm told it was actually more expensive than the bar in the lounge. Needless to say, the old hipflask was put to good use!

I certainly thought there was going to be free drink on at least two nights but it now appears this won't be the case. British Columbia Law is prety strict on licencing so this might be the reason. That said, it doesn't explain the prices last night - and I think it's uncharacteristically culturally insensitive for the Canadians to make it so difficult for an Irish guy to get cheap booze! I wonder it be covered by the equity policy?

No comments: